Storage is at the heart of iconik, all files managed by iconik reside on a storage of some type whether it's cloud storage or storage that you have on premise. Your own storage(s) and the files on them can be managed by iconik or you can choose to use storage supplied by iconik for your files. All iconik accounts must have at least one storage for us to manage files and by default we provide cloud storage for you, and in addition to that we automatically setup separate cloud storage for storing thumbnails, and previews of files (known as keyframes and proxies) to keep them separate from your production assets.
- Adding a Storage to iconik
- Deleting a Storage from iconik
- Editing iconik Storage
- Clear missing files
- Setting Default Storage for Uploads
- Storage for Archive
- iconik Storage Gateway
- On-premise and Cloud Storage for a Hybrid approach
- On-premise only setups
- Auto-scanning content on Cloud Storage
There are multiple types of storage that iconik supports and we can set a purpose for those storages to account for different use cases. The storage types are described below:
- File - The file storage type encapsulates the storage you might have on premise and is typically managed by an iconik Storage Gateway (ISG). For transcoding it may only use local transcoders.
- Amazon Web Services S3 - The Amazon S3 storage type lets you use iconik with the Amazon S3 cloud service storages. It is recommended that you use Amazon IAM to create an IAM user and limit that user's access to only the relevant S3 buckets when using Amazon S3 storage. This setting also works for S3 compatible storages, such as IBM Cloud Object Storage, Cloudian and Wasabi.
- Azure Blob Storage - The Azure Blob Storage type lets you use Microsoft Azure Blob Storage for storing your files.
- Google Cloud Storage - The Google Cloud storage (GCS) type lets you use iconik with Google Cloud Storage service. It is recommended to create a Service account with only the necessary access rights to the buckets.
- Backblaze B2 Storage. The Backblaze B2 Storage allows you to use Backblaze for storing files.
- Cantemo Portal - The Portal storage type allows you to configure iconik to exchange files between Cantemo Portal and iconik.
You can have as many storage types as you need, and as many of each as you need.
The storage purposes specify what can be stored in the storage. There are four types which can be stored.
- Files - The storage stores all sorts of files except Keyframes and Proxies.
- Keyframes - The storage stores only keyframes generated by iconik. This storage is created when setting up the iconik account and is not available for new storages. You can add your own Keyframe storage for an additional monthly cost, which covers as many keyframe or proxy storages as you want.
- Proxies - The storage stores only proxy video/audio/images generated by iconik. This storage is created when setting up the iconik account and is not available for new storages. You can add your own Proxy storage for an additional monthly cost, which covers as many keyframe or proxy storages as you want.
- Export - The storage stores only the export jobs and locations. This purpose is supported by all storage types except Portal.
- Archive - The storage is not for normal use, but as an archive destination. Read More.
If you are setting up a third party bucket we strongly recommend you read our knowledgebase article Controlling Costs as using iconik with third party buckets may cause costs for you.