Storage can be added to iconik, and after being added managed. All iconik accounts must have at least one storage for us to manage files from.
There are multiple types of storage that iconik supports and we can set a purpose for those storages to account for different use cases.
The storage types/methods specifies what type of storage it is. In iconik there are four different types of storage possible, local files, amazon S3 cloud service, Google Cloud Storage and Portal storage.
- File - The file storage type is a local storage which is managed by an iconik Storage Gateway (ISG). May only use local transcoders.
- Amazon Web Services S3 - The Amazon S3 storage type lets you use iconik with Amazon S3 cloud service. It is recommended that you use Amazon IAM to create an IAM user and limit that user's access to only the relevant S3 buckets when using Amazon S3 storage. This setting also works for S3 compatible storages, such as IBM Cloud Object Storage, Cloudian and Wasabi.
- Google Cloud Storage - The Google Cloud storage (GCS) type lets you use iconik with Google Cloud Storage service. It is recommended to create a Service account with only the necessary access rights to the buckets.
- Backblaze B2 Storage. The Backblaze B2 Storage allows you to use Backblaze for storing files.
- Cantemo Portal - The Portal storage type allows you to configure iconik to exchange files between Cantemo Portal and iconik.
The storage purposes specify what can be stored in the storage. There are four types which can be stored.
- Files - The storage stores all sorts of files except Keyframes and Proxies.
- Keyframes - The storage stores only keyframes generated by iconik. This storage is created when setting up the iconik account and is not available for new storages.
- Proxies - The storage stores only proxy video/audio/images generated by iconik. This storage is created when setting up the iconik account and is not available for new storages.
- Export - The storage stores only the export jobs and locations. This purpose is supported by all storage types except Portal.
- Archive - The storage is not for normal use, but as an archive destination. Read More.
If you are setting up a third party bucket we strongly recommend you read our knowledgebase article Controlling Costs as using iconik with third party buckets may cause costs for you.